I love holidays because it gives me an excuse to get creative and come up with fun treats for my kids to share with their classmates and friends.
For Halloween this year, I wanted to do something special for my daughter’s preschool class. I came across this Five Little Pumpkins Sitting On a Gate Halloween Printable from Balancing Home and loved the idea so much I decided to take a shot at designing my own topper featuring the 5 Little Pumpkins poem.
Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
The first one said, “Oh, my it’s getting late!”
The second one said, “there are witches in the air.”
The third one said, “But we don’t care.”
The fourth one said, “Let’s run and run and run!”
The fifth one said, “I’m ready for some fun!”
Oooooooh, went the wind and out went the lights
and the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight
I the clean, modern version from Balancing Home, but I wanted something a little more cartoonish for the preschool kids. I also wanted to take advantage of both sides of the treat topper to help illustrate the poem.
To make your 5 Little Pumpkin treat bags, you will need:
- My 5 Little Pumpkins Treat Topper printable pdf file*
- Snack size zipper seal bags
- Small pumpkin shaped candies
- Printed toppers
- Scissors or Xacto knife and ruler
To assemble the treat bags:
- Print out my 5 Little Pumpkin Treat Toppers file (linked above) using a color printer.
- Cut out each of the paper toppers using scissors or an Exacto knife.
- Put 5 of the pumpkin shaped candies in each of your zipper seal bags and seal closed.
- Fold a paper topper in half over the Ziploc bag and staple into place with 2 staples.
It is amazing what a little bit of packaging can do to transform the simplest of treats. I used jelly pumpkins, but mallowcreme or foil wrapped chocolate pumpkins also work very well.
I don’t get a chance to do as much graphic design as much as I’d like, so I had a lot of fun illustrating these toppers. I know the kids will enjoy the candies, and I hope the parents enjoy sharing and reading out this fun little Halloween poem to their kids.
*I have had a request for a second version of the printable that has the “There are witches in the air” line changed to “There’s a chill in the air”. Please find that 5 Little Pumpkins Treat Topper v2 printable file here.