I have rented out this beautiful space to host my son’s 4th birthday:
I love the stone fireplace and think the ski lodge type vibe it gives off works absolutely perfect with the Winter Olympics theme I have chosen. It is, however, begging to be Dolled Up with a bit of decoration over the mantle – cue another DIY project!
- 5 pieces of foam plumbing insulation tubing (found in the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowes)
- Sharp serrated kitchen knife
- Crepe paper streamers in Olympic colors (blue, yellow, red, green and black)
- White glue
- Hot glue or wire to attach together
1. Gather all your supplies. I recommend Dollar Tree to find your streamers – I ended buying my streamers from Target, Dollarama and Party City because none of the stores had all 5 colors. Dollar Tree had all colors when I stopped there a week or two later.
2. Cut your plumbing insulation tubes down to your desired hoop size using a sharp serrated kitchen knife. If you make perpendicular cuts, the ends will not fit together to form a nice round hoop – you can see the angles I cut mine at in the picture. Once you have one cut to the desired size, use it as a template to cut the other 4.
I first considered using pool noodles for this project after seeing inspiration on pinterest, but I found that they were too thick and stiff to bend into a nice circular shape. The plumbing insulation tubes ended up working perfectly and cost me no more then the Dollar Store pool noodles.
3. Tape your hoops together using strong tape such as duct tape, packing tape or tuck tape.
4. Select a color of crepe paper streamers and begin wrapping all around your hoop. I didn’t bother gluing at the beginning because it held pretty well once I just overlapped the streamers.
5. When finished wrapping, apply a small amount of white glue to the end of the streamer to secure in place.
6. Repeat the wrapping and gluing process with each of the other colors on your remaining hoops.
7. Attach all hoops together using thin gauge wire or hot glue. I haven’t actually decided which method to use for mine yet, but the hot glue gun tends to be my go to.
And there you have it – an Olympic logo decoration for your party!
I did end up with a lot of leftover streamers so I think I will find a rainbow inspired craft to do with my playgroup kids to use them up.