I shared my latest Star Wars themed Ice Cream Social with you last week, and today I am sharing an idea for a gift sized ice cream sundae bar. My basket full of ice cream toppings makes the perfect hostess gift or is a fun idea for the next time you are asked to bring dessert for a small gathering.
Back in July, we were lucky enough to stay the night with some good friends in Saskatoon on our journey from Edmonton to pick up our new camping trailer in Yorkton, SK. With two kids and two dogs in tow, I know it is a lot to ask and was very grateful when the offer was extended to us.
I wanted to find a fun way to thank them for their hospitality and came up with the idea of making up an ice cream sundae kit. I was looking for something that the whole family could enjoy and this seemed to fit the bill. A variety of toppings means that there is likely something for everyone to enjoy, and I love that this is a gift idea that can easily be adapted according to personal tastes and preference.
My basket included everything except the ice cream:
- Waffle cone bowls
- Plastic spoons
- An ice cream scoop
- Chocolate and caramel syrup
- A jar of maraschino cherries
- 5 topping options: mini Rolo’s, peanut butter chips, candy covered chocolate bits, mini gummy bears and maple leaf shaped sprinkles
I designed and printed off adhesive labels for the items and packaged it all up nicely in a plastic tub. As a finishing touch, I decided to throw in some cute ice cream cone shaped bubbles for each of the kids to play with.
Since our friends moved out to Saskatoon, our visits with them have been very few and far between. The last time we were actually at their house was when I was newly pregnant with my son 6 years ago, so it was lovely to catch up and to have our kids all spend some time together.
Putting up our family of four plus the two dogs is no short order, so hopefully this helped show just how much we appreciated it. And, now that we have the trailer, maybe we can try to make an effort in the summers to make sure we don’t go so long between visits!
I chose to use all store bought items for the sake of simplicity, but you could also add a homemade touch by adding in your own homemade sauces and syrups. I have compiled this list for you of delicious looking options that would go great in any ice cream sundae basket:
- Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce by Keep It Sweet Desserts
- Peanut Butter Topping by Clockwork Lemon
- Butter Cream Syrup by Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Buttermilk-Bourbon Carmel Sauce by Mom on Timeout
- Southern Praline Sauce by A Southern Fairytale
- Maple Walnut Ice-Cream Sauce by Family Circle
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce by Something Swanky
- Buttermilk Maple Toffee Sauce by The Café Sucre Farine
- DIY Hot Fudge, Caramel, Butterscotch Sauce and Marshmallow Topping by Gluten Free On A Shoestring
- Homemade Marshmallow Sauce by Baking A Moment
- Best Ever Hot Fudge Sauce by The Café Sucre Farine
- Guinness Chocolate Sauce by Self Proclaimed Foodie
- Five Minute Bailey’s Fudge Sauce by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Chocolate Sauce by Designing Domesticity
- White Chocolate Sauce by The Grant Life
- Easy Coffee Sauce for Ice Cream by Babble
- Quick and Easy Raspberry Sauce by Spoonful of Flavor
- Homemade Coconut Syrup by Will Cook For Smiles
- Watermelon Syrup by Domestically Blissful
- Fresh Pineapple Jam + Sauce by Dana Made It
- Strawberry Sauce by Cincy Shopper
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce by Caramel Potatoes
- Triple Berry Sauce by Kleinworth & Co.
- Whiskey Peach Sauce by Serious Eats
- Apple Pie Syrup by That’s Some Good Cookin’